1. argue v. 的用法
▲构词：argument n. 1. [C]争论 2. [U]讨论.辩论3. [C]论据
① argue with / against sb. over / on / about sth. 与某人 争论某事
② argue for / against sth. 辩论赞成/反对某事
③ argue that... 主张，认为，争辩说
④ argue sb into / out of doing sth. 说服某人做/不做某事
▲友情提示：“说服某人做/不做某事”还可表达为：talk / persuade / reason sb. into / out of doing sth.
⑤ settle the argument 解决争端
▲友情提示：an argument with sb about / over sth. 为某事和某人而发生的争执
【考例】What laughing ____ we had about the socially respectable method for moving spaghetti (意大利式细面条) from plate to mouth. (2004全国卷I)
A. speeches B. lessons C. sayings D. arguments
[答案与解析] D argument的词义是“争辩，辩论”。
2. compare v. 的用法
▲构词：comparison n. 比较
▲搭配：① compare...to... 比拟;比作 ② compare... with / to... 将……和……相比较 ③ compare notes 对笔记;交换意见
【考例】 ____ with the size of the whole earth, the biggest ocean does not seem big at all. (2004湖北)
A. Compare B. When comparing
C. Comparing D. When compared
[答案与解析] D 本句compare用在句首作状语，并有“被比较”的意思。
3. consider v. 的用法
▲构词：consideration n. 考虑，思考;体谅，顾及
▲搭配：① consider doing sth. 考虑做某事 ② consider sb (to be / as)... 认为/觉得某人……③ consider that- clause 认为…… ④ take sth into consideration 考虑 ⑤ under consideration 在考虑中
【考例】Charles Babbage is generally considered ____ the first computer. (NMET 1993)
A. to invent B. inventing
C. to have invented D. having invented
[答案与解析] C consider本身是被动语态时，后接不定式的各种结构。如果表示已经发生的事情.用不定式的完成形式。
4. deserted adj. 空无一人的;被遗弃的;被抛弃的
(1) 空无一人的a deserted street / area空无一人的街道，地区;The office was quite deserted.办公室里空无一人。
(2) 被遗弃的 a deserted child 被遗弃的孩子
(3) desert ['dezot] n. 沙漠
desert [dI'zo:t] vt. 丢弃;遗弃
He deserted his wife and children after becoming rich.
5. difficulty n.
(1) difficulty (通常作复数) 难事，难点，难题She met with many difficulties when travelling.
have (some) difficulty (in) doing sth.
there is (some) difficulty (in) doing sth.
have (some) difficulty with sth.
there is (some) difficulty with sth.
do sth. with difficulty / without difficulty 困难地/轻而易举地做某事
We had a lot of difficulty in finding your house.
Do you have any difficulty with your English?
(1) 以上句型中，difficulty前可加some, little, much, a lot of, no, any修饰
6. favourite = favorite (A. E) 最喜爱的;最喜爱的人或事物
(1) adj. 最喜爱的My favorite sport is playing football.
(2) n. [C] 最喜爱的人或事物He is a favorite with his uncle.
▲构词：funny adj. 有趣的.滑稽的，好笑的;奇特的，古怪的
① make fun of 取笑;嘲弄;开某人的玩笑
② (just)for / in fun = (just) for the fun of it 取乐，非认真地，说/做着玩的
③ be full of fun…… 很好玩
④ have fun with sb. 和某人开一个玩笑
⑤ have (some) fun 玩得(很)高兴，玩得(很)开心
⑥ It's (great) fun to do sth干某事很有趣;干某事真是一件趣事;干某事真开心
⑦ What fun (it is) to do sth! 干某事多么有趣呀!
⑧ have a lot of fun doing sth 干某事玩得很开心
【考例】 (200上海春招) This is not a match. We're play- ing chess just for ____.
A. habit B. hobby C. fun D. game
[考查目标] fun构成的短语for fun的意思。
[答案与解析]C，for fun 常在句中用作状语，意思是“说/做着玩的”。
▲构词：① imagination n. [C / U] 想像，想像力，想像的事物 ② imaginative adj. 富有想像力的
▲搭配：① imagine sth / doing sth ② beyond (all) imagination (完全)出乎意料地
【考例】 I can hardly imagine Peter ___across the Atlantic Ocean in five days. (MET 1991)
A. sail B. to sail C. sailing D. to have sailed
[答案与解析] C imagine后接动词的-ing形式，本句的Peter是这个动名词的逻辑主语。
interest vt. 使……感兴趣 n. 兴趣，爱好 [U] 利息;利润 He has a great interest in politics. 他对政治极感兴趣。/ a broad interest 广泛的利益 / a common interest 共同的利益 / a strong interest 极强的兴趣
▲构词：① interesting 令人感兴趣的(事物) ② interested (某人对某事)有兴趣的
▲搭配：① interest sb in sth 使某人注意，关心或参入某事;使某人对某事感兴趣 ② be interested in 对……感兴趣(关心) ③have an interest in sth. / in doing sth. 对某方面有兴趣 (关心);在……中有股份、权益等 ④ hold one's interest 吸引住某人的兴趣 ⑤ in the interest(s) of 为……利益;为……起见;对……有利 ⑥ lose interest in 对……不再感兴趣 ⑦ show / take (an) interest in / in doing sth. 对……表示关心(有兴趣) ⑧ have / take / feel no interest in 对……不 (不太) 感兴趣 ⑨ with interest 有兴趣地，津津有味地 ⑩develop / find / feel interest in sth. / in doing sth. 在某方面培养/有兴趣 ? lose interest in sth. / in doing sth. 对某方面失去兴趣
有时interest可与不定冠词连用。He developed an interest in science.
另外：interest作“爱好”解时，是可数名词。 His interests include reading and tennis.
【考例】____, they immediately suggested that she put them together to make a single one long story and paid Tracy a $50,000 advance. (2004全国卷 II)
A. Interested B. Anxiously
C. Seriously D. Encouraged
[答案与解析] A interested指(出版商)对这件事有兴趣。
▲构词：① proof n. 证据。试验，考验，(印刷)校样
▲搭配：① prove sth to sb 向某人证实…… ② prove to sb that 从句向某人证实…… ③ prove (oneself) to be 证明(自己)是，表现出
【考例】It was in the neighboring country — United States that such resistance to spray was first ____. (05长春模拟)
A. proved B. killed C. thought D. discussed
[答案与解析] A 本题was proved的意思是“得到证实”，有被动意味。
▲构词：① provider n. 供给者，供应者，养家者 ② provided / providing conj. 倘若
▲搭配：provide sb with sth / sth to sb 给……提供;以……装备
【考例】His son ____ the old man with all the food and the money he needed.
A. provided B. fed C. afforded D. charred
▲搭配：① share (in) sth. with sth. 和某人分享、分担、共用某物 ② share sth (out) between / among... 将某物分配、分给…… ③ share joys / happiness and sorrows (with sb) (和某人) 同甘共苦 ④ share one's opinion 同意某人的意见
【考例】Let Harry play with your toys as well, Clare — you must learn to ____. (NMET 2000)
A. support B. care C. spare D. share
[答案与解析] D 四个选项的含义分别为：support 支持;care 在意，关心;spare 挤出(时间)，匀出某物;share分享，分担，与某人合用。根据语境可知说话者是想让Clare学会与人共享——把玩具(拿出来)和Harry一起玩，share在此意为“合用玩具”，解此题的关键是信息play with your toys as well。故D为最佳答案。
▲构词：solution n. 1. [C] (问题的)解答;(困难的)解决方法 2. [U] 解答，解决 3. [U] 溶解
▲搭配：the solution to 解决……的办法
【考例3】In the end, one suggestion seems to be the solution ____ the problem. (2001北京春招)
A. with B. into C. for D. to
[答案与解析] D “对于……的解决办法”，介词用to。
14. total n. / adj. 全部(的)
(1) in total 加起来In total, there must have been 20000 people there.
(2) a total of 总共His expenses (支出) reached a total of $100.
(3) the total of...……的总数 The total 0f the bill is 230 dollars.
15. when conj.
when并列连词，= and then，表示“就在那时，突然”，常见以下句型中：
(1) be doing...when...正在做……突然……I was wandering through the streets when l caught sight of a tailor's shop.
(2) had done...when...刚做了……突然……I had just sat down when the light went out.
(3) be about to do...when...刚要做……突然……I was just about to go swimming when our guide saw me and shouted at me.
16. while conj.
Come on, get these things away while I make the tea.
(2) 并列连词，表前后两个分句意义相反或相对，意为“然而”。Some people waste food while others haven't enough.
(3) 放在句首，表示“尽管;虽然”，相当于although。While we don't agree, we continue to be friendly.
1. All the novels are considered ____ the young readers in the 1980s. (to have interested)
2. Bob thought it ____ to solve maths problems while others hated it. (fun)
3. The headmaster ignored the ____ between Mrs. Wang and his nephew. (argument)
4. We can't decide. The plan needs to be ____. (considered)
5. ____ with Class Two, ours has more boy students. (Compared)
6. I find a better way ____ this problem. (to solve)
7. Nearly half of the companies ____ the same opinion with the government. (share / shared)
1. especially, specially
especially adv. 特殊地;尤其是
(1)侧重于多种事物或人中比较突出的。I like all the subjects at school, especially English. (尤其是英语)
(2) especially 后可接介词短语或从句。I like the Yuelu Mountains, especially in spring. (尤其是在春天) Noise is unpleasant, especially when you are trying to sleep.
specially 侧重特意地、专门地做某事 (后面常接for sb. 或to do sth.)
I made a chocolate cake specially for you.
2. boring, bored, bore
boring adj. 令人厌烦的 The book is very boring.
bored adj. 感到厌烦的 I'm bored with the book.
bore vt. 令人厌烦 This book bores me.
有些表示情感的及物动词，有与bore类似的用法。如：interest, excite, surprise, amaze, frighten, astonish, move, inspire, touch, scare, disappoint, puzzle, worry 这类词的现在分词形式，为“令人……”;过去分词形式，为“感到……”。
3. except for, except, but, besides
表示“除了”的词或短语有：except; but; except for; besides; except that (when...) 等。
(1) except 和 but 都表示“除了……之外。没有”，二者大多数情况下可以互换;但在no, all, nobody, nothing, no one 等词后多用 but。No one knows our teacher's address except / but him. (排除him)
(2) besides 除……之外，还……，有附加性。What other foreign languages do you know besides English? (English与other languages都属于know的范围)
(3) except for 只不过……，整体肯定，部分修正，用于排除非同类事物，for表示细节上的修正。 Your article is well written except for a few spelling mistakes.
4. know, know of, know about
(1) know 用作动词，意思是“(直接地)获知，懂得，认识，熟悉”。I don't know whether he is here or not. / I know him to be honest.
(2) know of和know about的意思都是“(间接地)获知”，指听别人说到或从书报上看到，二者没有什么区别。
5. for example; such as
(1) for example“例如”，用来举例说明某一论点或情况。一般只举同类人或物中的“一个”为例，作插入语，可位于句首、句中或句末。可用for instance替换。For example, air is invisible. / His spelling is terrible! Look at this word, for example.
(2) such as “例如”，用来列举事物，一般列举同类人或事物中的几个例子。插在被列举的事物与前面的名词之间，as后面不可有逗号。Some of the European Languages come from Latin, such as French, Italian and Spanish.